Ok, I’ve been making a few crochet hats for babies and toddlers and I wanted to display them nicely to take pictures. The other little caps I made before, I just stuffed it with a hand towel and it sat up fine. However, with the crochet beanies, they’re too floppy to do that. So I thought I’d go out and buy a hat stand.
I went to Lincraft today, and as suspected, the styrofoam head they had was adult size – similar to the one below:
This would have been too big for the little hats I’m making. So I thought of making my own. I bought 2 styrofoam balls (14″ and 19″ in circumference) and bell-shaped ones for the stands
To make your hat stand(s) you’ll need styrofoam shapes, bamboo skewers and glue if needed (in my case, I didn’t use any):
Here’s what to do:
- Cut a little bit off top of the bell shape foam to make it flat
- Do the same with the ball-shaped foam(s)
- Get 3 bamboo skewers and cut them to size – the length I did mine were just a little under the height of the bell shape foam (you don’t want it to go all the way thru the bottom) plus halfway the height of the ball
- Then insert the skewers through the bell shape.
- Find the centre of the ball, then slowly push down onto the skewer sticks (be carefull that it is centred, or else it will not balance)
- Keep pushing the ball down on the skewers until it lays flat against the bell shape
There you have it, a hat stand.